Thursday, January 19, 2006

Takin Me Back

It's odd the power music has in my life. This power becomes even more pronounced during times of transition for me, it seems. There is a song from the late 80's that, whenever I hear it, immediately takes me back to the school bus riding to Jr. High one morning and also immediately puts a huge knot in the pit of my stomach because we had just moved to Indiana and I was horribly miserable and anxious every morning heading to school. Fast forward almost 20 years (yikes has it really been that long since jr. high???) to the present. Steven, Kyra, and I are big Zoe Group fans and have just about worn out every CD of theirs that we have (thank goodness for iPods!). For whatever reason, I haven't really listened to any of our Zoe CDs since moving to Amarillo. Yesterday, Kyra, Siana, and I were out for an afternoon drive after running a quick errand to Walgreens. We were out of the house and I really didn't feel like going back home so soon because driving around in traffic just makes me feel more alive sometimes (especially when bouncing back after having a 2nd child). So we drove through Hud's to get a shake for me and a "Kid's Spwite" for Kyra and popped in a Zoe CD. It was odd how it immediately made me miss one particular friend from Indy that I haven't talked to much since we moved. We used to sing together on the praise team pretty often, and we frequently sang the Zoe songs that were on the CD that I had chosen. I also realized that since we've moved I haven't really been singing, and neither has Kyra (not as much as she used to at least). So yesterday, we had a great time driving around aimlessly in the car belting out Zoe songs together and clapping our hands. But since listening to those songs, that particular friend has just been on my mind and in my heart for 2 days now. Funny thing is, SHE called ME this evening. God works in mysterious ways, eh? It was awesome to reconnect with her and laugh together again. She's one of those people that I just pick back up with like no time has passed...I love that! Made me awfully homesick though.... I like Amarillo, but the one thing that's the hardest for me to deal with is it's difficult to leave here. To fly home is expensive, since Kyra requires the purchase of a plane ticket now, and driving is just too far by myself for 14 hours with a newborn and a 3 1/2 year old. So I guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies. =) All this from just listening to a CD.... =) I know this has been a bit of an odd, meandering post, but rather therapeutic. I'll post something funny next time. =)

1 comment:

Aidan said...

Music sure is wonderful. And I'm glad you got to reconnect with your friend.

Just one question: what was the song?