Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Labor and Delivery, Wal-Mart Style

We had a realtor coming to show our house tonight, so Kyra and I had to find something to do that was not at home for an hour or so this evening. Since I was out of almost every major food staple in our house, I decided we'd go to Wal-Mart. That always takes at least an hour when I have a list of things I need to get, especially when I'm accompanied by a 2 year old who likes to talk to people. =) So we shopped around Wal-Mart for around 45 minutes, got all of the things we needed, and amazingly, nothing extra! So we got in line to pay. The check-out lady was laughing at Kyra's nonstop barrage of conversation about each thing she rang up, as well as anything and anyone else she saw that caught her fancy. Kyra was particularly concerned about the Nemo fruit snacks she had picked out and had to monitor their location each step of the way. She continued chattering as we went out to find our car and put our purchases in. I stopped the cart, popped the trunk and started loading up. With each bag I picked up, she asked "Nemo snacks in there?" Well, the last thing left to put in the trunk was a large box of bottled water that was on the bottom rack of the cart. I normally get a 12 pack, but the 24 pack was on a great sale, so I had gotten the larger box instead. The way the package is set up is there's a box on the bottom that holds the bottles and it is covered by a fairly sturdy plastic wrapping with open sides. Normally, I just grab the open side by the plastic and heave it into the trunk. However, as I got the package with 24 bottles instead of 12 this time, this approach did not work so well. I grabbed the plastic to lift it up into the trunk and it just ripped off in my hand. Kyra was watching and looked at me oddly as the box crashed to the ground and I gave short chase to a couple of particularly mobile bottles. I told her the plastic broke and wasn't that silly. So as I'm more gently picking up the package of water and placing it into the trunk, she loudly exclaims, "Oh No! Our water broke!!!" I got a few odd/concerned looks, but found it particularly hilarious all the same.

No comments: