Tuesday, October 19, 2004

The mysteries of the post office

Kyra and I went to the post office yesterday to mail a birthday present for my friend's little boy, Parker. We walked into the small waiting area and Kyra immediately let go of my hand so she could start spinning around in a circle singing Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-YOOOO at the top of her lungs. I quickly glanced around at the clerks and the one other customer standing in line (all men) to see if anyone was glaring at us. They all seemed to be amused, so I let her keep singing and twirling around. I paid for shipping for the package and we left. We got into the car and as I was buckling Kyra into her carseat, she asked, Where's Parker's pwesent? I told her we left it at the post office. She gave me a look that said, We did what? So I explained that we took the present to the post office so they could give it to Parker. To this, she said, They see Parker? I didn't exactly know how to explain the concept of the postal system to a 2-year-old, so I left it at this: I said we give it to the mailman who gives it to someone who drives it to Parker's house and puts it in his mailbox for him. She seemed satisfied at the time. However, the rest of the evening and most of this morning, she has needed to be reminded of where Parker's present has gone. Maybe it means she's still a little confused by the mailing process, or perhaps it's been sitting in the living room so long that it has become a part of the decor of the house and she forgets that it is now gone....

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Haha... sure make us feel bad about still not mailing Kyra's gift:) Just kidding. We will get it to you this week:) Parker's favorite place is the post office. When we flew to NY last time we saw a Postal plane and I was able to show him the guys putting the boxes of mail on the plane. Now every time he sees a plane in the sky he says "Granpop wetter (letter"). Maybe you and Kyra need to take a field trip to the airport (LOL)

I think this is great and I may just have to do this too (imitation is the best form of flattery afterall).

Love ya and God has definitely given you the gift of "Mommy-ing". I'm thankful to share in the journey with you.