Thursday, October 21, 2004

Our little songbird

One of the greatest joys to me as a parent is listening to Kyra sing. Her Daddy and I both love to sing, so it doesn't surprise anyone that this is starting to blossom in her as well. She loves to grab a microphone and join in during our praise team practices at church. And she is always very "involved" in worship. One of the things we've always done as a family is each night, the 3 of us sit in the floor in her bedroom and sing songs and pray before we put her to bed. Often, she will ask one of us to "wock me widdle bit" in the rocking chair after we've said our prayers together. We always jump at the chance for extra cuddles, and usually more songs. In the past, she would just tell us what song she would like to hear us sing. However, the past few weeks have been so sweet, because she has been saying "No, I sing it to you." So as we're rocking in the rocking chair and gazing into her eyes, she'll sing whatever song is on her heart. Sometimes it's Jesus Loves Me, sometimes You Are My Sunshine, sometimes it's This is How We Overcome, and every once in a while, she'll bust out with Kenny's Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner, which her Daddy sings to her regularly. I just can't help feeling that if Kyra's sweet voice, although not always on key, sounds like the most beautiful thing I've ever heard, that must be what it sounds like to God when we sing praises to him. At least, I can only hope he derives as much pleasure from our songs to him as we receive from our daughter's gift to us.

No comments: