Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Celebrations

There is much to celebrate this week. For one, I just reached the milestone of my 200th blog post. Wow. It amazes me that I still have so much to blog about. My sweet girls are such a joy and I am richly blessed because of them. Second, I just turned 30 yesterday. It makes me laugh to hear that people who really don't know me well were warning Steven to make a really big deal out of the day because turning 30 is hard for a woman and causes a lot of mixed emotions. By the time we met up at the movie theater after work, he was a little nervous because he had not gone to any elaborate lengths for my birthday...we had just planned to meet at the movies and go eat dinner afterwards. I just chuckled and told him to quit worrying...who knows me better...him or the person who warned him about female birthday angst. There were no mixed emotions for me about turning 30 at all. It does not bother me one bit. It is a bit surreal at times for me to remember my mom's 30th birthday party in our backyard in Michigan with all our friends and family, and then think that I'm now at the same point in my life that she was then. But I am not sad, nervous, or upset about getting older. I'm actually kind of proud. I wouldn't go back to 20 if given the chance, not even back to 25. Not that those were bad years by any means. I had a great time at 20 and I plan to have a great time at 30. I am able to look back with fondness at the things I did then and appreciate how far I've come since. I'm thankful for the journey I've been on and am anxious to see how I will grow and change in the next decade of my life. I love my family, I love my friends, and I have nothing to complain about, who would be upset about that?

3 comments:

Aidan said...

Haha...you referred to yourself as "Ange." I don't know why that amuses me, but it does.

Happy birthday.

Arlene Kasselman said...

Happy Birthday friend. See you in a few.

kendanley said...

Artist - David Wilcox
Album - Home Again
Lyrics - Top Of The Roller Coaster

Say good-bye to your twenties
Tomorrow is the Big 3-0
For my birthday present
I've got a place where we can go
It's a lesson in motion
To ride the wildest ride
We're gonna climb to the top of the roller coaster
And look down the other side

So let me ride in the front car
And you ride right behind
And I'll click my snapshot camera
At exactly the right time
Shoot back over my shoulder
Catch the fear no one can hide
When we tip the top of the roller coaster
And look down the other side
Over the hill

So when the prints come back
We can look at that unmistakable birthday fear
Like your younger days are over now
And its all down hill from here

It was a happy birthday
You surprised us all
So take a look at this glossy picture
I framed it for your wall
It's the moment of truth
It's the top of your youth
The camera don't lie
You might be screaming
But there's a meaning
In the laughter in your eyes
It seems to be saying
Of course there will be fear
But this is why we stand in line
Spend that time
Make that climb
To finally feel the other side
And it's all down hill from here

We're gonna climb to the top of the roller coaster
And look down the other side