Friday, March 16, 2007

Blue Skidoo, You Can Too?

For those of you familiar with Blue's Clues, you'll know what I'm talking about. For those of you who aren't, ask me later. Kyra was sitting with me a few days ago as we watched an episode of Blue's Clues before bed and I rolled her hair in curlers. She was watching silently for several minutes until she saw Blue and Steve skidoo into a book. She then turned to me in all seriousness and said, "I've never figured out how to skidoo." Steven and I looked at each other incredulously and tried to not to laugh as we processed what she'd said. I asked her with a remarkably straight face, "Have you tried?" She looked at me for a few seconds and seemed to get a little embarrassed as she thought about it logically, so she said, "Well, no...." And I nonchalantly asked her again, "Did you try to skidoo into a book or something?" To which she admitted, "Yeah. A few times. But it didn't work." I successfully contained my laughter and said, "Bummer. That would have been fun if it had worked!" She looked back at me with a big grin on her face and said, "Yeah!"

I am always caught off guard by moments like this. She is so bright and often seems so much older than she really is, but on the inside she's still just a little bitty girl with a big imagination. I love that. And I also love the mental picture etched into my brain of her swinging her arms around and jumping onto a book in her bedroom trying to skidoo like Blue and Steve.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I have dreamed many times since having kids and watching Blue about ski-dooing somewhere (preferably somehwere quiet and tropical). Kyra, if you master the art of ski-doing,let us know. You would be our hero!

Aidan said...

Wouldn't it be cool to skidoo into something like the Bible? You could walk around with Jesus. Ask him all the questions you've always wondered about. Wash his feet. Let him wash yours. Take part in the real Last Supper. See the miraculous healing of so many individuals. Yeah, that would be cool.

Ellen said...

i happened upon this entry by googling blue skidoo. i needed a link to explain it a little, so i thought you might enjoy my blue skidoo story (though i think yours is way better).

we were just watching sesame street and ben stiller was singing the people in your neighborhood w telly. i told my son that when ben stiller was a kid, my mom tutored him in math.

"was he outside the tv when he was little?"

yes, he's not always on tv.

after thinking a moment, B said

"maybe he went to blue's house and then skidoo'd to grandma noanie's house."