Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Fine Art of Negotiation

Kyra and I were in the car after meeting a friend for lunch today and I told her what the agenda for the rest of the afternoon was. She had mentioned earlier on the way to lunch that she wanted to go to Lifeway and Family Christian Store to read books today, and repeated that request again. My main goal was to get some things done to the car, oil change, etc., so the likelihood that we'd be able to fit anything else into the afternoon was slim to none based on typical car place timetables. I told her that we had other things to do today and might not be able to go read books, but if we didn't have time today, we'd definitely go another day soon. She thought about it for a moment, and then said, "Hey Mom, how about we do your plans first and then we can do my plans."

I love that she's starting to really think things through and figure out ways to accomplish everything that we both need to do. I also love that she has "plans." =) However, on days like today, there was nothing I could do to accommodate her. It took almost 2 hours to get the car back, so we didn't get to go to her stores today, but it will definitely be a top priority for an upcoming afternoon!

No comments: