Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day of School!!!

Well, my sweet Kyra started Kindergarten today. The day went well, once she got to school. She loved her teacher and all the things she got to do. However, the morning, in true Bruce style was a comedy of errors. Doesn't matter how well we plan, it never fails to be drama some days. *sigh* I got up bright and early at 6:30 a.m. which I haven't seen in many, many years. I got myself completely ready by 7 and went to wake Kyra up...she was resistant to say the least. It took over 35 minutes to actually get her out of bed. I had to give up for a while so I could go get her lunch made and fix the breakfast she'd asked for the night before. Steven finished getting ready and went in to take another shot at getting her out of the bed. Once she was up, she didn't want to wear the outfit she'd planned to wear for weeks now. But by that time, we were running late (of course) and we didn't have time to find a new outfit. So we shoved her into her clothes, I picked her up, carried her to the kitchen, screaming in my ear, mind you, and plopped her into the chair in front of the special breakfast I'd made for her (that she had requested). She decided she didn't want that after all. I wanted to pour it over her head by that point, but refrained, since she'd just had a bath the night before. She finally settled down after about 10 minutes or so of sitting there watching her food get cold. Then she had time for about 3 or 4 bites before we had to go. Siana had woken up during all the hubbub, so we changed her, dressed her, and strapped her into the car. We drove the 2 minutes to school, and since we weren't as early as we'd planned to be, we had to park down the street and walk. Naturally, we parked in front of the one house who happened to be watering their lawn at the time. So as I walked in my thin-soled flip flops, carrying Siana, I hit a patch of exceptionally slippery mud and down I went with a loud, painful thud. And a screaming baby who thought the world had come to an end. Once everyone figured out all was ok and that I was actually laughing, because, honestly, what else could I do at that point, the tension was broken and Kyra seemed less nervous and cranky, and more amused. So in we marched to the school: one flustered Dad, one nervous 5 year old, one baby who didn't quite know what was going on, and one mom with a soaking wet, muddy rear end. We walked her to her class, with Steven and Kyra forced to walk behind me at that point. As we were walking, occasionally a giggle would erupt from Kyra, and as we got to her classroom, we got one final look of terror, a big kiss, an I love you, and into her class she walked with her teacher. And standing there with mud all over my butt, I thought how much worse the day could have been. She walked into her class with her own 2 feet and no screaming and crying occurred at the door. Mission accomplished. Now on to some clean, dry clothes.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I don't really have anything to say except.. wasn't it just yesterday we were pregnant with Parker and Kyra??? Where has the time gone Ange? I am sooo sad for you! My turn comes soon enough and the thought makes me sick to my stomach so I'll think of you in muddy shorts b/c that's funnier... hope you and Siana enjoy some good quality time just the 2 of you!

Steven J Bruce said...

it was funny wen mommy fell in the mud
-kyra