Saturday, June 30, 2007

Interesting Questions about Babies

After having 2 babies, I'm pretty much prepared with rote answers to most of the questions I get about my kids from random people we encounter. However, tonight I got one that has to be the most unusual question I've ever been asked about a small child. Our poor little waitress tonight had been asking questions about Siana...how old she was, her name etc. Pretty standard fare until she came back to check on us one particular time and this was her question:

"She's so cute...is she a natural blonde?"

Really? Is she a natural blonde? No, actually, I take my 18 month old's tiny amount of hair and bleach it every so often to give it that peroxide glow. Wow.

But instead of saying all the things that were running through my head, I maintained my best straight face and politely said that yes, indeed, both my girls are natural blondes. Then I made slightly stunned, but amused eyes at my husband as she moved on to the next table....

3 comments:

Nicole said...

ok, so ditzy waitresses exist everywhere! I was asked by a Walmart cashier about 2 months ago, if Lillie's hi-lights were real!!! When I, like you answered a confused "Ummm yes." she goes, "WOW! I pay mega bucks to have my hair look like that!"

Maybe people are just trying to make small talk. But it is definitely at the expense of their intellingence.

Dana said...

The really sad thing about this is that there ARE people who will take their small child and do ridiculous things with their poor little bit of hair!

Steven J Bruce said...

Actually Ange, I think the question was even stranger...I am 99% sure she asked you if she was "naturally born".