Friday, May 13, 2011

Testing the Avian Psyche

As Siana and I were outside waiting for the bus this morning, she unsuccessfully attempted to chase down a bird. She came back to my side, and after a few moments and sidelong glances, she nonchalantly said, "I like flies better than birds." She looked around and calmly made this statement a couple more times before I asked, "You really like flies better than birds?" She looked at me, (and if she had known how to waggle her eyebrows, she would have done so) and said, head bowed toward me, voice soft and low, "I'm just saying that so the bird hears me." She then proceeded to shuffle ever so inconspicuously toward the bird, still repeating her mantra, until she suddenly made a run for it at her 5-year-old breakneck speed toward the bird who disinterestedly looked up and lazily flapped to the nearest branch. Next time bird, next time.

No comments: